Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Guitar Dreams


photo by dan massey Posted by Hello


Bad trip, hindi na-save yung una kong sinulat... Oh well.

Been thinking about the flamenco for some months now, and looking for teachers and classes. Partly because I love the improvisations and the music and the history, and partly because my guitar playing has reached a plateau. My laziness has gotten to the point where I want to kick myself in the ass hehe. I need to seriously spend more time playing. I mean seriously. Which begs the question, is it still a hobby, or is it already a craft?

Hobbyist. In the art scene (at least among the younger groups), it's a word spoken with disdain, if not outright hostility. Whenever I find myself in a conversation of this sort concerning a particular person, I want to just scream out, "Amp, e buti nga nagsisipag magpinta yung tao e!" but I can't say I blame them. They've been through blood, sweat and tears, and have the scars to show for it. They do mean well, and they do have a point. Where does the hobby end, and the discipline begin? Many of those who engage in artistic disciplines have sacrificed much for the sheer love of their craft. Tapos paano pa kung ayaw ng ibang tao ng trabaho mo? But that is another issue...

Of course, talking to the older artists is a breath of fresh air. Having accomplished much, and achieved much, they're more laid back, at ease, and very much more willing to tell you everything they know about their craft. Well, maybe not everything, but at least they're a lot more fun to be with hehehe.

But going back to the guitar, it is an extremely difficult instrument to master. Although it is one of the easiest to learn. Tatlong chords lang buhay na hehe. Kanta na yun lol. Self-study, I think, will only get someone so far. Eventually, one would have to look for teachers. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a center (on all things flamenco) here in the Philippines, the
Fundacion Centro Flamenco.

Hmm... now I just hope i don't procrastinate anymore. And I hope I can marry the two styles I've been working on, blues and this. Apologies to purists out there. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flamenco at blues? Goood lak!!!

Si Perf ang sobrang galing mag-flamenco. Sabihin mo kay Dave ipasa sa'yo yung CD kong Kasilag.

-- ergoe

Jojo Ballo said...

hi ergoe! :D
salamat sa info, ayus!